| OWL Venice
This month is definitely the time to squeeze in all of the nourishing meals that you can because, hey, we all know how the holiday season can get us out of our normal routine. This winter veggie and rice bowl does the trick!
The best trick about this bowl is cooking the rice in your choice of OWL Venice Broth Elixir to add in those additional digestive benefits. This has become our go-to when cooking any type of grain! Not to mention, bone broth is amazing for keeping your bone healthy and building a strong immune system which is essential during the colder months!
You can’t have a delicious veggie bowl without a sauce. That’s where this creamy walnut-parsley sauce comes into play. First, you have to layer the bowl up with all the goods. The bone-broth forbidden rice, topped with roasted garbanzo beans, sauteed fennel, roasted sweet potatoes, and crispy Brussels sprouts. For the sauce, it’s easy just to mix up in a blender and can be saved for the rest of the week! It adds a nutty and decadent flavor to this bowl. Could not ask for a better combo!
Winter Veggie & Rice Bowl
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 40 mins
Makes 4 servings
- 1½ cups forbidden rice
- 3 cups OWL Broth Elixir
- 2 small Japanese sweet potatoes (cut lengthwise)
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 2 cups brussels sprouts (halved)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt + pepper
- 2 bulbs fennel
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup fresh mint
PARSLEY WALNUT SAUCE
- 1½ cup toasted walnuts
- 2 cups fresh parsley
- 1 small avocado
- 1 tbsp cumin
- ⅓ cup filtered water
- ⅓ cup avocado oil
- ½ lemon (juiced)
- Sea salt + pepper
- In a medium-sized saucepan add forbidden rice and OWL Broth Elixir. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cover with a lid. Cook the rice for 30 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- While the rice is cooking, preheat the oven to 400 F. Prepare the Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes and garbanzo beans and add to a large roasting tray. Toss with olive oil, cumin, sesame seeds, sea salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the fennel by removing the core and cutting lengthwise into 6-8 pieces per bulb. Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Drizzle with olive oil. Sear on both sides for 3 minutes.
- While all the veggies are cooking. Make the sauce by blending all ingredients to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare each bowl individually by scoop in rice, roasted veggies and chickpeas, seared fennel, topped with parsley walnut sauce and fresh parsley and mint. Enjoy!
Claire Sporck (aka Sporckly), is a food photographer and stylist here in Los Angeles with a love for beautiful, natural foods. She loves cooking and creating recipes with real ingredients that stand out, and has been creating "healthier" versions of recipes since she was a kid with her mom in the kitchen. She's a huge believer that the foods we eat affect our bodies and minds, which makes WHAT we eat so important!
In 2015 Claire graduated from UNLV with a degree in hospitality management. After completing her schooling, she quickly moved to Los Angeles where she began a job working in event production and catering. It was during her first two years in the city working events that she began Sporckly.
Four years later, she now works full-time as a chef, food photographer, stylist, and recipe blogger, pursuing her biggest passion: spreading healthy recipes and creating pretty food photos.