| OWL Venice
It’s cookie season! AKA our favorite season. We all can agree that cookies are just the thing to get us in the holiday mood. Especially a festive recipe like these matcha Christmas tree cookies. It’s a fun and creative sugar cookie recipe made with OWL's Matcha Powder.
The best thing about these cookies is they are made from the cleanest ingredients and are gluten-free and refined sugar-free! We blended together a mix of almond flour and oat flour with coconut sugar for that natural sweetness. For the sugar cookie icing we simply beat together powdered monk fruit sweetener, ghee and almond milk. Finishing the cookies off with a sprinkle of coconut flakes and powdered green matcha for that perfect snowy Christmas tree cookie look.
Matcha Christmas Tree Cookies
Prep Time: 45 minutes | Bake Time: 5-6 minutes
Makes 5-6 Christmas trees or 20-25 star cookies
- 2 cups oat flour + ½ cup for rolling out dough
- 3/4 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 2 tbsp OWL Venice Matcha Powder
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
MONK FRUIT ICING
- 2 cups powdered monk fruit
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together egg, coconut sugar, almond extract, and ghee for 20 seconds.
- In a smaller bowl combine dry ingredients by sifting together oat flour, almond flour, baking soda, sea salt, and matcha powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet until all combined. Mix together with hands! Let sit in the fridge for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a flat surface lay out some parchment paper. Sprinkle some oat flour on the parchment paper and begin to roll out the dough. Whenever the dough begins to stick to the rolling pin, always add some more flour.
- Roll out the dough till it is about 1/4 in thick. Take the star cookie cutters (or Christmas tree cutters) and begin to cut out different sizes of the stars. You will want each stack to be about 5 stars.
- Repeat the process until almost all of the dough has been cut into star cookies.
- Add the star cookies to a baking sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes. Let cool!
- Make the icing by whisking together powdered sugar, almond milk and ghee. Icing should be thick and fluffy.
- Add the icing into a piping bag and begin to ice the sugar cookie stars once they are cool. Stack five stars on top of one another, putting the largest star at the bottom.
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut and powdered green matcha.
Claire Sporck (aka Sporckly), is a food photographer and stylist here in Los Angeles with a love for beautiful, natural foods. She loves cooking and creating recipes with real ingredients that stand out, and has been creating "healthier" versions of recipes since she was a kid with her mom in the kitchen. She's a huge believer that the foods we eat affect our bodies and minds, which makes WHAT we eat so important!
In 2015 Claire graduated from UNLV with a degree in hospitality management. After completing her schooling, she quickly moved to Los Angeles where she began a job working in event production and catering. It was during her first two years in the city working events that she began Sporckly.
Four years later, she now works full-time as a chef, food photographer, stylist, and recipe blogger, pursuing her biggest passion: spreading healthy recipes and creating pretty food photos.