| OWL Venice
We’ve been craving a creamy and comforting soup this fall and nothing sounds better than a broccoli cheddar soup. Made without the dairy, gluten or grains, this soup is the perfect recipe for anyone avoiding these common food allergens. It is packed full with various veggies such as zucchini, carrots, and broccoli (of course). And it can be made with your choice of OWL Venice broth. For this recipe we used the vegan broth elixir.
The combination of nutritional yeast and cashews is what makes this soup extra creamy and “cheesy”! When blended, raw cashews give anything that decadent and silky consistency while the nutritional yeast adds a burst of flavor. Nutritional yeast also contains several nutrients! It is considered a complete protein, for our vegan friends, and is also rich in thiamine, B12, niacin, riboflavin, and B6.
This soup is great for meal prep throughout the week or for a fall dinner with friends. There is nothing better than a nourishing meal that is also so satisfying!
Broccoli “Cheddar” Soup with Roasted Chickpeas
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes | Serves 5-6
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 ½ cups carrot, diced
- 2 cups zucchini, diced
- 1 cup broccoli stems, diced
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 cups OWL Broth Elixir (we used Vegan!) *save remaining for later in the recipe
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 5 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano
- 2 cups OWL Broth Elixir (remaining contents of jar)
FOR ROASTED CHICKPEAS & BROCCOLI
- 1 (16 oz) can of chickpeas
- 2 bunches of broccolini
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Micro cilantro *for garnish*
- Sea salt + pepper - to taste!
- Get a large stock pot for making the soup. And heat up to medium-high.
- Add the ghee and let melt. Once the bottom of the pot is hot, add in the veggies; diced carrots, zucchini, and broccoli stems.
- Saute veggies for 5 minutes and add in mustard seeds. Pour in 2 cups of the vegan elixir or bone broth and raw cashews. Let simmer on low for 12-15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let cool. Add contents of the pot to a food processor or high-speed blender. Add in nutritional yeast and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. About 2-3 minutes! Set aside.
- Using the same stock pot, heat back up on medium high and add in ghee. Chop the broccoli florets till the pieces are quite small. Add into the pot and saute for about 5 minutes. During the last minute, add in the fresh oregano and thyme, and cover with remaining 2 cups of broth. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes until broccoli is tender.
- Start preparing the chickpeas and broccolini *see instructions below*
- Once broccoli and the broth are done simmering, Add the cheesy cashew and veggie puree to the stock pot. Stir and season with salt!
- Top with roasted chickpeas, broccolini and micro greens ~ We used micro cilantro!
FOR CHICKPEAS & BROCCOLI
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- While broccoli and broth are simmering, prepare the chickpeas and broccolini. Cover a roasting pan with aluminum foil. Rinse off chickpeas and pat dry with paper towels. Spread out on the baking sheet and coat with olive oil. Leave room on the roasting pan for the broccolini (you will add this the last 12 minutes).
- Season chickpeas with salt and pepper and roast for 20-25 minutes. About half way through, add the broccolini coated with olive oil, to the roasting pan and continue to roast for remaining time.